I always believe that it’s nice to have a glass of wine or a cocktail while cooking. It puts me in my zen cooking space. With that being said…Why not spike the tomato sauce with a bit of vodka. Penne Alla Vodka is definitely Italian comfort food. Want to make it a bit fancier… throw in some shrimp! This is a quick an easy 20 -30 minute recipe that is sure to impress. Here we go…
- 2-3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 lbs shrimp cleaned
- 1/4 onion small
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 14 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound Penne pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and add shrimp with a pinch of salt. Cook for 1 minute on each side over medium heat until shrimp turns pink. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan add finely chopped onion and cook on low for 7-10 minutes until onion is soft and translucent. Then add fresh chopped basil, oregano and minced garlic and cook while stirring for one minute.
- Add vodka and continue stirring with a wooden spoon while scraping the bottom of the pan to release the burned on bits into the sauce for 1 minute.
- Then add the tomatoes, stir to combine, 1/2 tsp salt and bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover with a lid and let it simmer for 15 minutes. A good indication that your tomato sauce is done is when it changes from bright red to a shade of orange.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water. We like it al dente… Never mushy!
- When the tomato sauce is done simmering, add the cream and stir, then add pasta and shrimp with the juices that accumulated on the plate for extra flavor. Toss gently to combine and season with salt if needed.
If you have any recipes you’d like to share we would be happy to feature them and give you credit.