These Barbacoa beef tacos have an amazing flavor. The ingredients and spices come together like a perfect song. It also smells amazing while the Barbacoa cooks all day long. Once the meat is done cooking it shreds so simply. We like to serve this dish to large groups of people. It makes for a great self serve taco bar too! Barbacoa tacos are a always a hit. This is truly a family favorite… ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!
BARBACOA BEEF TACOS INGREDIENTS
- 4 – 5 lbs beef brisket (or beef chuck roast will also work)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 – 4 chipotle chilis in adobo (you can also use Chipotle paste)
- 2- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt, then more to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- Lime (sliced into 1/8th’s)
- Cotija Cheese (finely grated)
- 1/2 white onion finely chopped
- sliced avocado
- salsa verde (optional)
- Cut the beef into large cubes. In a large skillet over medium high heat add the vegetable oil and sear the beef on each side. Transfer to your slow cooker.
- In a food processor add adobo chili’s, beef broth, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cloves, white onion, and lime juice. Pulse until blended and pour on top of the meat. At this time you can just add your bay leaves into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 6 hours. Take the meat out and shred it with two forks. Replace meat back into cooker for 10 minutes to soak up the juices. You can either serve out of the slow cooker or place into another dish sans liquid.
- I like to warm up the tortillas, place my beef and top with Cotija cheese, lime and cilantro…. Deeelish!
We hope you enjoy this Barbacoa beef taco recipe. Your feedback is always welcome!
If you have any recipes you’d like to share we would be happy to feature them and give you credit.